August 7, 2008

Funny stories from Weihai, and a new look

Something that is funny here is the lost in translation signs/clothes. One day I was walking down the road and (I'll admit it) not in a super good mood, when “she” approached me. “She” was a women wearing a shirt that read, “Blue Shine, Let’s Crazy”. I laughed so hard (not in her face) and all the troubles of that day just melted away.

And (not that this bothered me, but I'm sure people at home will like this) we were in the student cafeteria on campus, eating lunch. And I said "Sydney, come eat some chicken (from this chicken and veggies dish)" and Heather said "that isn't chicken, it's fish". Well it's not often that I'm wrong so I turned to a Chinese student to get the scoop, "Excuse me, what is this?", I asked, to which she replied "Squid".... Alllllright, I guess I was wrong on this one. I think from now on I will pass on asking what something is that I'm eating.

We also had a super creepo moment. Heather woke up at like 4:30 in the morning to feed Aubrey and she noticed the door handle to our hotel room moving.... apparently someone was trying to get into our room (maybe the wrong room or to steal). Later, when I thought about it I wish I had yelled at them, but to be honest I doubt they spoke English.... Which I guess could have freaked them out even more.

Lastly, here is a little goodie for all you out there.



Yes, this is me and normally I would say that this mustache is the dirtiest thing this side of the Mississippi River, but since I'm in China I'll say this "this mustache is the dirtiest thing this side of the Yangtze River. Don't worry it was gone the next day and all the shame that came with wearing it for a day. But to my defense I shaved it that way to pick up my brother and his family from the airport. Which I'm sure after over a day of travel was a delight to see.

Until next time,
the Peterson’s