February 6, 2011

Difficulty and Caleb is the man

Hi everyone!

How are you? I hope that you’re doing well! Thanks for stopping by to read our post.

Well for us life’s been a bit hard lately. Raising four children 5 years old and younger is a lot of work (who knew?). To top it off we’ve been battling a lot of sickness here. All four of our kids got pick eye and then Heather and I were both sick. And when parents are sick everything falls apart. But I need to say this, my wife is a champ. Yesterday, when I was sick with a flu type bug, she took all three girls to the play place in a grocery store nearby. Now, that might not sound like a big deal, but believe me it is (considering you have to get on a bus there and back and deal with the crowds… China’s got a lot of people). Just thinking of doing it brings fear to my heart.

We’ve also been celebrating the Chinese New Year this past week (and will continue for the next week). It’s seriously such a fun time to be in China and it’s like nothing I ever experienced anywhere else. On the Eve of the Chinese New Year we pulled all our mattresses out to the living room to watch movies, eat junk food and finally around 8pm we all headed up to our roof to watch the fireworks.

No kids quotes with this post, but I will share a story about Caleb. The other day he was sitting and staring with no expression and without blinking. I threw down the gauntlet and decided to have an impromptu starting contest with him. I wanted to have him blink or look away as to establish alpha dog status. (He needs to know who runs this house). Anyways, I got next to him and it was on. He didn’t move, blink or break gaze with me before I folded like a cheap lawn chair. Now I’m sure he thinks he’s the man of the house.

I will add one more story. This one happened to me when we were traveling home over the summer (I’ve had this story in my “to write about” list for a while). Anyways, when we were in L.A. or Denver, Sydney started playing with a couple kids (the kids were Latino; I only mention that because it’s important to the story). I asked the boy who was playing with Sydney where they were going and what they were doing. He said something to me in Spanish and I panicked and said “Oh that sounds fun”, then in English he said to me “He died last week (about his Grandpa)”. Whoops, I guess be must have told me in Spanish that he was going to his funeral.

Much love to all of you,
Matt, Heather, Sydney, Lily, Aubrey and little Caleb

0 Comments:

Post a Comment